Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Winter Knitting

I've been getting through a bit of knitting over the winter months. I even made a new project bag to take my knitting in to Wellington, a craft project and a book are always the first things to be packed when I go on holiday!  

This project bag is based on a tutorial by Betsy Makes. I changed the fabric measurements to be tall enough for my knitting needles to stand up.


I knitted this super warm beanie for my father in law's recent birthday, kindly modeled by Hannah.
This pattern can be found here.


I have also made a couple of pairs of these handwarmers, one pair for my sister in law and one for a friend. This pattern can be found here.



Recently I went for a visit to one of my favourite local knitting shops and picked up some new knitting stash - Opal Sock yarn, Knit Pro Symfonie single pointed needles and some snazzy double pointed Knit Pro Zings.




I've been wanting to have a go at sock knitting for some time but have always been a little hesitant due to my "lefty" nature when it comes to knitting, I am right handed but have left handed tendencies when it comes to knitting, if that makes sense?

So I found the courage one night to get my first ever sock underway, using a wonderful tutorial by Winwick Mum, which is just perfect for a beginner to sock knitting.  


I love the colours in this particular yarn. I've been making great progress on my sock and over the weekend I completed my first heel flap, heal turn and gusset.  So much fun!  I've also been spending quite a lot of time browsing yarn sites, podcasts and blogs checking out more sock patterns and gorgeous yarns - this could get addictive!

Some of my other little knitting projects have included baby knits. I knitted several little hats for a friend's little girl.




This little cardigan is also finished, just have some buttons to sew on.

                      
The cardigan as well as these little hat and bootie sets are to be sent to Melbourne shortly, one of my cousin's recently welcomed a little girl to their family.

Purple hat pattern found here:


Purple Bootie pattern found here


The cream crochet hat pattern is from the Ruby & Custard Crochet book. I recently got this out from the local library but will definitely purchase a copy of it sometime, it has some lovely crochet patterns in it. Cream booties pattern can be purchased from here.

I'll be back soon with a sock progress report!


7 comments:

Winwick Mum said...

Wow! Your sock is looking fabulous! I'm glad the tutorials are still working for you even as a lefty - we do have quite a few left-handed knitters in our Facebook group (Winwick Mum Sockalong) so if you get stuck and need some help then do feel free to ask questions. Looking forward to seeing your finished socks! xx

Marilyn said...

All great knitting projects.
You've been busy!
Marilyn

Maggie said...

Lovely projects. I discovered Winwick Mum blog and ordered my supplies for my first socks, unfortunately i have yet t make a start because of other projects.

Look forward to seeing your finish :-)

loulee said...

Lovely knits, and what pretty fabric for your baggie!

Von said...

That's the cutest project bag! Love your choice of fabrics!

Raewyn said...

The knitting bag looks great - and a lovely pile of knitting you have been doing lately! Have fun with the socks!

shirley flavell said...

Wonderful knitting projects Katrina and a lovely project bag. Good on you for attempting sock knitting. I love knitting socks and have made several pairs since starting.Winwick Mum tuition is great and she has a great blog and is so chatty. Those zing needles are out of this world for knitting with in my opinion. I now have several sizes and really love them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...